Sunday 21 June 2009

A midsummer night's dream

"...To show our simple skill,
That is the true beginning of our end."

(A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare, Act V, Scene I)


Taoists would like this quote. Taoists are fascinated with the concept of returning to the origin. Understand the origin, and it is possible to return to the origin. Return to the origin by stripping away our ego and those acquired states that contaminate our congenital nature as we age and, well, the path to immortality is there. It is a proposition, if you will, in reversing time. That said, Taoists do not see immortality as perhaps the western world sees it. Taoists see immortality in the sense that it is possible to merge our spirit with the source code of the universe - the Tao. Not a lot of people, even Taoists, ever get so far.

Am I a Taoist? No, no more than William Shakespeare is Taoist and no more than I am either Taoist or Church of England. "C of E" as we say around here. "Anglican" as others might see it. Although, maybe by my very insouciance, I am. Would it matter? That is for another blog. I just thought that this midsummer night, one that coincides with Fathers Day, a quote from an aptly named play written by Shakespeare might embellish the aspirations of his prescient ancient Oriental Taoist counterparts. For my part I am happy with my new watering can. On this midsummer night, I am dreaming that maybe the beefsteak tomatoes growing behind me will bear a tomato that I might actually enjoy come August or whenever they ripen. Did I say dreaming? Maybe dreaming is a bit of a stretch. Wondering, perhaps. There are better things to dream about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You write beautifully, as always.

I particularly like the way this is phrased - '...and those acquired states that contaminate our congenital nature as we age...'

I think I'm gaining lots of those states!

Anyway, I hope you had a happy Father's Day.